Statement of Purpose of the Delaware River Towns
Chamber of Commerce Shad Festival Scholarship First Time Applicants
The purpose of the Shad Festival Scholarship is to provide scholarships annually to area students. Students in the Chamber footprint (see list) attending either public or non-public high schools are eligible to apply for the scholarships. First time applicants must be high school seniors (or equivalent) entering their first year of college (or equivalent) and no older than 20 years of age. The money is to be used in the pursuit of a degree in the arts (music, graphic arts, digital arts, performing arts, art education, art therapy, architecture, theater, culinary arts). Because the scholarship is funded by the donation of works of arts by visual artists, visual artists will be given first priority. If no applicants are deemed eligible to receive the Shad Festival Scholarship, the scholarship money will be held in escrow for future years.
The scholarship is merit based. The selection of recipients is made by the committee based on the quality of the work and personal statement submitted by the applicant and on the impressions made on the committee during the interview. In addition to talent, the committee has been asked to consider the candidate’s likelihood of finishing a four-year degree. Commitment to higher education is taken into consideration during the selection process. In the case of a tie, or faced with two students of equal talent, financial need will be taken into account.
To be considered as a recipient of The Delaware River Towns Chamber of Commerce Shad Festival Scholarship, it is mandatory to submit the application completely and accurately. Applications can be found on the Chamber website, https://lambertvillechamber.com. No incomplete applications will be accepted.
The Delaware River Towns Chamber of Commerce Shad Festival Scholarship is made possible through the generosity of a consortium of individuals, each of whom works very hard to raise money for this award annually. Artists donate art works to be auctioned and art patrons purchase the art providing the bulk of the money. Area businesses help underwrite the auction, thus paying some of the expenses associated with conducting the auction, so that as much of the funds raised as possible go directly to the scholarship fund. Volunteers join together before and during the Shad Festival to promote the auction and the Festival and make it the success that it is.
Please consider doing a Shad Fest poster for the Scholarship Poster Auction or volunteering your time at the Shad Festival.
Shad Festival Scholarship Application Requirements
Please provide us with the following information. All applications must be submitted by March 27th, 2017.
- Shad Festival Scholarship Application Form (see below)
- Student Transcript – you must maintain at least a C average to be eligible
- Student Activity Inventory
- Guidance Counselor Recommendation
- Art Teacher or Primary Art Mentor Recommendation
- Portfolio of works containing at least 5 and no more than 10 examples of your work. Portfolios will be judged on potential, accomplishment, attitude, and intent. Digital portfolios are strongly preferred. However, visual artists are encouraged to bring representative pieces to the interview. (If you are a performing artist, a video or audio disk of performances is acceptable, no more than 10 to 15 minutes in length.)
- A 500-word personal statement, explaining your goals and future plans
- Interview with scholarship committee the week of April 3rd, 2017 if picked as a finalist
If you have any questions about these requirements or the scholarship application, please call JoAnne at the Delaware River Towns Chamber of Commerce: (609) 397-0055 or email: email@example.com.
[gravityform id=”9″ title=”true” description=”true”]